Now you’ve met your role model and had a taste of what it’s like to be them. Don’t you wish they were around when you needed their help of advice though?
Here’s a way you can have the next-best thing.
- Pick a situation where you would like the advice of a particular role model.
- Encapsulate the situation: Be sure where the experience begins and ends.
- Begin by running the experience through from your own perspective.
- Next, imagine your role model is present.
- As before, ask them questions and glean any advice you can.
- Now step into your role model and look at the situation again. From that perspective, what would you do differently? What would you keep the same?
- When you’ve gained all you can from that perspective, step back out, taking the knowledge with you.
- Now step back into yourself at the beginning of the experience. Given your new knowledge, how do you respond differently and how does the situation unfold this time?
- Cast your mind forward to a time in the future where you may encounter a similar situation. How does it play out in that instance?
In this way, you can draw upon a different, expert perspective for insight and problem solving. To gather further perspective, repeat the exercise with a second, different role model.
Interesting? Your questions and comments are welcome below.